Welwyn Hatfield

Gracelands work in partnership with Welwyn Hatfield Council

Welwyn Hatfield Council offers two types of grants to assist with improvement work in people’s homes in certain limited situations.

1.Disabled facilities grants

You will need an assessment by an occupational therapist at Hertfordshire County Council. Call 0300 123 4042/4043 and they will send their recommendations of the adaptations you need to us. We will then contact you to help you make the grant application and get the required works carried out.

Disabled facilities grants are mandatory grants available to residents who need to make changes to their housing accommodation to enable them to continue to live independently.

Grants are available to owner/occupiers and tenants and can be used towards the cost of providing adaptations and/or facilities. Examples of works covered are:

  • Widening doors or installing ramps to improve safe access to your home
  • Installing a stair lift
  • Changing a bathroom to a level access shower
  • Adapting heating controls to make them easier to use

The grant can include works up to a maximum of £30,000 but are subject to a means test. Works for the benefit of children are not subject to a means test.

2. Home repair assistance

This provides discretionary grants up to £1,000 and loans up to £5,000. Typically this assistance pays for electrical rewiring, repairs to roof, windows or doors, or work to remedy substantial plumbing or drainage problems or small scale adaptation works to enable elderly or disabled persons to stay living at home.

Applicants must be home owners, over 18 and be in receipt of an income related benefit or tax credit to be eligible to apply. However, if you are over state retirement age and are disabled or infirm, you may not need to be in receipt of any benefits to qualify for this assistance. Applicants must also have lived in the property for at least three years.

Large Scale Repairs

Discretionary renovation assistance loan or grant is available typically to rectify serious disrepair, dampness or to improve electrical safety, or provide adequate heating, lighting, ventilation or drainage so that the property meets the Decent Home Standard.

Assistance of up to £25,000 is available, which will be in the form of a non-interest bearing charge place on the property repayable only when the property is sold or transferred to another person.

Who can apply and what are the criteria?

You must be over 18 and have been an owner occupier for three years or more at the date of application and the property must have been built before 1960.